Monday, December 3, 2012

Meet and Greet

Kenzi had a big day yesterday! She got to meet her Aunt Oma (who she shares her middle name with), her Aunt Millie (who I considered naming her after because Millie is one of my favorite names ever), and her Uncle Marvin who she liked so much she didn't even try to steal his glasses...which for those who know Miss Kenzi...that says a lot!


She also got to meet a total if ten cousins for the first time, and got to hang out with Amber and Amelia again. Then she spent the rest of the night wearing her papaw out and snuggling with her mamaw.

I wonder what goes through her head when she's being loved on by all these new people? This sweet little girl has never known the love of a family. She's never been tossed in the air, tickled til she's breathless, rocked to sleep, played with until she's decided she's bored, fed whenever she's hungry, changed as soon as goes potty...her most basic needs are for the first time being met immediately, and consistently and with gentle hands by someone who loves her. I think she gets it. I really think she understands that she's loved, that she's safe, and that she's home. These are HER people...whether its me, or her daddy, or her 2nd cousin. Or a family friend....these are people who love her and care about her. She has to feel that love or else she wouldn't be coming out of her shell so quickly.

This past year has been the worst of my life. Loving a child who will become your own who has health issues and who is stuck in a crib in an orphanage on the other side of the world does permanent damage to your mind and your heart. There have been things along this journey that have broken my heart, that I have deemed unforgivable but this awesome little person who I'm now honored to call my daughter has given me a new outlook. Her life has been terrible up until now. But she attacks this new chapter with sych happiness, she is totally care free and it's almost like she's formed this opinion of "well that was then, this is now...I'm letting the past go and just enjoying where that journey led me..." And I need to do the same. So all the pain, hurt, disappointment, and tears from the past year...I'm letting go and following my daughters lead...nothing but blue skies now. <3











2 comments:

  1. ohhh how lovely! Its easy to see how much she is adored!! What a beautiful little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so touching- so many lessons about love- thank you for sharing- I can't find a way to email you but would love to have you be a guest blogger on my blog surprising treasures. I'm currently trying to raise funds for Saige- an orphan with ds listed in Reece's Rainbow... cjoybarclay@hotmail.com if you can share with my readers :P hugs and thanks

    ReplyDelete